tracking and reporting on legal issues in various courts:
- US Copyright Office December 15, 2016
- Report on Embedded Software and Repair released to Congress. Quick summary - repair is being prevented, but not by copyright law. Problems of repair and reuse are matters of contract law which fall under General Business Law in States.
- Electronic Frontier Foundataion
- EFF files lawsuit against US Government for 1st Amendment violations
- DOD releases new DFAR requiring maintenance companies to source parts exclusively from OEMs. Our colleagues at ASCDI and ORI are working on how to qualify parts sources from independents.
- Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 -- Still Applies.
- A reminder to everyone that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA) of 1975 applies to all consumer purchases with warranties - not just cars. If you aren't familiar with this law -- read up. Many OEMs openly violate the statute -- we just confirmed with the FTC that it is illegal to place notices on products that opening the covers voids the warranty !